Associate Professor (Reader) in Pure Mathematics, University of Bristol
My Group on Applied and Combinatorial Algebraic Geometry:
- Current PhD students:
- Ollie Clarke (funded by EPSRC DTP award EP/N509619/1)
- Luke Kershaw (starting in September 2019)
- Current postdocs:
- Janet Page (Heilbronn research fellow)
- MSci project students:
- Sally Emerson (won the Howell Peregrine Prize and the SU Education award)
- Andrew Ferguson (won the Hasse Prize)
- Max Jaworski (starting in September 2019)
- Harshit Motwani (IIT Kharagpur)
- Undergraduate project students:
- Vardhini Bhasker (co-advised by Asma Hassannezhad)
- Charlie Thomas (co-advised by Asma Hassannezhad)
- Current/former visiting students:
- Corey DeGagne (Dalhousie)
- Harshit Motwani (IIT Kharagpur)
- Undergraduate students in Bristol IMC team:
Current Research Interests:My research interests lie in commutative algebra, algebraic geometry and combinatorics with a focus on applications.
- Toric degenerations of varieties using tools from representation theory, tropical geometry and cluster algebra
- Algebraic and combinatorial divisor theory for graphs and matroids
- Algebraic statistics with a focus on Graphical models and maximal likelihood degree of varieties
- Sandpile models (avalanche dynamics)
- Hyperplane arrangements and Orlik-Terao ideals
- Gröbner bases and its applications
- Deformation, minimal free resolutions, and cellular resolution of ideals
- Determinantal ideals and their applications in conditional independence statements
- System reliability theory and percolation theory
- Combinatorial persistent homology and computational topology
Publications:All my recent papers are available on arXiv. Here are the links to my Google Scholar and my MathSciNet profiles.
- Fall 2019: Undergraduate course (MATHM0036) on Algebraic Geometry at the University of Bristol.
- Spring 2019: Bi-weekly IMC Problem-Solving Seminars for Undergraduates at the University of Bristol.
- Fall 2018: TCC postgraduate course on Combinatorial Algebraic Geometry at the University of Bristol.
- Summer 2018: Summer School in Algebraic Statistics postgraduate course on Graphical Models in Tromsø, Norway.
- Summer 2018: CIMPA Research School - Latinamerica postgraduate course on toric ideals and their combinatorics in Mexico.
- Spring 2018: Bi-weekly IMC Problem-Solving Seminars for Undergraduates at the University of Bristol.
- Spring 2017: TCC postgraduate course on Combinatorial Commutative Algebra at the University of Bristol.
- Spring 2017: Undergraduate course (MATH10008) on Introductory Foundations of Mathematics at the University of Bristol.
Conference and Seminar Organisation:
- 2018 - 2019: Weekly Seminars on Combinatorial Algebraic Geometry at the University of Bristol.
- 2018 - 2019: Weekly Seminars on Algebra and Geometry at the University of Bristol.
- April 2019: TGRT II Spring School on Tropical Geometry Meets Representation Theory (II) at the University of Leicester.
- December 2018: A3G Conference on Recent Advances in Applied Algebraic Geometry at the University of Bristol.
- September 2018: LMS Workshop on Combinatorial Algebraic Geometry at the University of Bristol.
- August 2017: A focused research meeting on Toric Degenerations at the University of Bristol.
- Fall 2016: Berlin-Leipzig Seminar.
- May 2015: Workshop on NonLinear Algebra at the Einstein-Saal of the Berlin-Brandenburg Academy of Sciences.
- June 2015: Seminar on NonLinear Algebra (I) at TU Berlin.
- December 2015: Seminar on NonLinear Algebra (II) at TU Berlin.
- 2017.01 - 2019.08: Lecturer in Pure Mathematics, University of Bristol.
- 2015.10 - 2017.01: Postdoctoral Researcher within the Einstein project in Bernd Sturmfels group at Technical University Berlin.
- 2014.11 - 2015.10: IST Fellow working with Caroline Uhler.
- 2013.11 - 2014.08: Alexander von Humboldt research fellow at Osnabrück University with Winfried Bruns.
- 2012.07 - 2013.10: Alexander von Humboldt research fellow at the Philipps University Marburg working with Volkmar Welker.
- 2011.09 - 2012.06: Postdoctoral Researcher at MSRI, Berkeley, under the supervision of Hélène Barcelo.
- 2017 - 2020: Co-organiser of the annual workshops Women in Mathematics: Opportunities for the Future, University of Bristol.
- 2018 - 2019: Collaborating with Dail Behennah in Creative Reactions 2019 which is a collaboration between scientists and artists. Here is our piece.
- September 2019: Co-organiser of the workshop Women in Mathematics Research 2019.
- 2018 - 2020: Member of the Equality, Diversity, and Inclusion Committee in the School of Mathematics, University of Bristol.
- 2017 - 2020: Leader of the Bristol Team at the International Mathematics Competitions. See the news articles about Bristol IMC Team 2018 and Bristol IMC Team 2019.
- 2018 - 2021: Member of the University Senate.