Physics is never far from the properties of the number systems used to
describe it. The structure factor of fractals
at infinity depends on the
Pisot-Vijaraghavan property, in which all high powers of an irrational
number (such as the golden ratio) are close to integers.
The escape from an open
in the limit of small holes depends on the Riemann zeta function and
more generally Dirichlet L-functions, which in
turn are related to the distribution of prime numbers.
- Structure factor of deterministic fractals with rotations C. P. Dettmann and N. E. Frankel, Fractals 1, 253-261 (1993) pdf [New journal at the time; missed from most databases]
- Open circular billiards and the Riemann hypothesis, L. A. Bunimovich and C. P. Dettmann, Phys. Rev. Lett. 94 100201 (2005) ps pdf RH day slides
- Open mushrooms: Stickiness revisited, C. P. Dettmann and O. Georgiou, J. Phys. A.: Math. Theor. 44 195102 (2011). [Highlighted in a JPA Insights article.] pdf arxiv poster
- New horizons in multidimensional diffusion: The Lorentz gas and the Riemann Hypothesis, C. P. Dettmann, J. Stat. Phys. 146 181-204 (2012). pdf arxiv animation (4.8M)
- Faster than expected escape for a class of fully chaotic maps, O. Georgiou, C. P. Dettmann, E. G. Altmann, Chaos 22 043115 (2012). arxiv pdf
- Open circle maps: Small hole asymptotics, C. P. Dettmann, Nonlinearity 26 307-317 (2013). pdf arxiv
- Survival probability for open spherical billiards, C. P. Dettmann and M. R. Rahman, Chaos 24 043130 (2014). arxiv pdf
- Conference paper: How sticky is the chaos/order boundary? C. P. Dettmann, Contemporary Mathematics 698 111-128 (2017). pdf arxiv.
These publications are copyright.
For allowed usage, please check the publisher's website by clicking on the journal name.
Return to Publications page;